Re: linux-authentication via openldap

Hey Christian,
  If you need to you can always bring the server down to single user mode.
On redhat hit ctrl-alt-delete (which is aliased to reboot) and when the
Linux splash screen comes up type ctrl-x for text mode and type "linux
single" at the Lilo boot prompt.
  As for your problem there are a couple of things you can try.
1) change the ldap host to ipaddr instead of host name
2) turn off the "starttls" and use ngrep to monitor the traffic btwn your
workstation and server to make sure everything is happening ok.
3) for the /etc/pam.d/sshd comment out the references for ldap so that you
can at least get back in via ssh if all else fails.

If you need I can share my configs, I'm using RH 7.1 though. But I'm doing
the same thing just for imap instead.

HTH,
Harry