NET::LDAP moddn problems

I am developing a perl cgi application using the Net::LDAP modules.

I can use the moddn function to change the dn of a leaf entry in the directory.  If I try to change the dn of an entry somewhere in the middle of the directory structure (one which has sub-entries) the operation fails.  I've experimented with moddn until blue in the face.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this?

Thanks in advance

Derek

This e-mail (and any attachment) is intended only for the attention
of the addressee(s). Its unauthorised use, disclosure, storage
or copying is not permitted. If you are not the intended recipient,
please destroy all copies and inform the sender by return e-mail.
This e-mail (whether you are the sender or the recipient) may be
monitored, recorded and retained by Business Information
Publications Limited (BiP). E-mail monitoring/ blocking software
may be used, and e-mail content may be read at any time.You
have a responsibility to ensure laws are not broken when composing
or forwarding e-mails and their contents.