still seeing slow downs on group searching

Hello!  Here is what I am doing.

I am using apache, mod_auth_pam, pam_ldap to do apache auth against my ldap. I am using require-group directives. I am seeing a huge slow down when using this feature. Using standard htaccess auth takes 5 seconds to load my page. It takes 15 seconds to load the page with ldap auth. I just indexed it as well. Here is what I am indexing:

index default pres,eq
index   objectClass,uid
index   cn,memberUid,uidNumber,gidNumber   eq

Does anyone else have any hints on this subject or doing this successfully. I want to trade notes with you if so. Perhaps I am missing something important in my configuration someplace.

Thank you all for your help! Terry