Different results from local than from remote query

Hello, using an ldapsearch command line from the host in
where slapd is running returned the expected results.  But running the
exact same command line from another host returned no results.  The
mentioned command line is:

ldapsearch -h dep1.fciencias.unam.mx -D 'uid=root,ou=People,dc=fciencias,dc=unam,dc=mx' -w yadayadayada -x -ZZ

It seems to me as if the access control is being handled in two
separate ways depending on the locality of the request but I couldn't
find any info regarding this on the Administrator's Guide.

Any ideas why this (unexpected) behaviour may be happening?

Thanks in advance

Jorge Santos