Re: dns round robin - use for redundancy

Doesn't DNS round-robin usually just rotate the entire list of addresses
that it returns?  So if ldap.foo.bar resolves to addresses 1, 2, and 3,
one query would get 1,2,3; the next 2,3,1; the next 3,1,2; etc.  If 2 goes
down, the second query would result in first timing out while connecting
to 2, then trying 3 and presumably succeeding, no?  (I'm assuming that
OpenLDAP follows the best-practice of trying each returned address in
order until a connection is established or the list is consumed.)

You'd still want to remove 2 from the list if that machine was expected to
be down for hours or days, but I would expect at worst an unpredictable
short delay in connecting if you lose a server.

Our lives are forever changed.  But *that* is exactly as it always was.