Re: backup up ldap db

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Roel van Meer wrote:

> > The .dbb files would be in such a state as to make it impossible to get an
> > LDIF which, if used to populate another slapd, would not result in the same
> > data being presented as that available in the original directory.
>
> Ok. That doesn't matter too much to me. My specific usage involves
> dumping the entire database, and parsing the resulting ldif file,
> taking out only a little part of the information i need. We reckoned
> that was faster and generating less load on the server than doing an
> full search.
>
> The database is quite large, there will about 5 million entries in
> the db, and i need some data out of each entry.

That's probably a reasonable way to do it, then.  Just don't rely on what
comes out of slapcat too much - it may be missing entries or data that was
recently added - or it may fail to comprehend the .dbb files entirely.
YMMV.

> > Disclaimer: I'm not an OpenLDAP developer, so I don't have a definitive
> > answer.  I'm just going on what I've read in the literature, some past list
> > postings, and my knowledge of dbm.
>
> Okay. Thanks anyway. I won't blame you if i ruin my system :)

Just thought I'd warn everyone before they took my ramblings as Holy Writ.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer
mjp16@ieee.uow.edu.au