Re: backup up ldap db

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Terry Davis wrote:

> can an ldap db be backed up while in use?  I have seen references of
> people using slapcat to output the db to text files.

That apparently shouldn't be used on databases in operation; the database
files are left in an inconsistent state while the server is in operation.
The server needs to be shutdown before running slapcat.

You can use a replicating server to provide backup functionality; it isn't
used for queries, but it is kept updated and can be shutdown at will to
allow for slapcat to do it's work, while your regular servers continue to
provide uninterrupted service.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer
mjp16@ieee.uow.edu.au