Substring searches

We are running a very large LDAP database, and I've noticed that
substring searches less than 4 characters, e.g. cn=*ab*, result in a
full scan of the database.  These can be limited with the timelimit, of
course, but meanwhile the server gets bogged down.

What I'd like it to do is detect this in the filter parsing stage and
either return an error message or transform it into a filter that
quickly results in returning 0 entries.

Does anyone have any ideas of how this might be done, or any better
ideas?

Thanks.

Jeremy Mortis
University of Calgary Information Technologies