How can I hard-code stuff in configure?

I am doing several installs of OpenLDAP on AIX. There is a known bug
with using getaddr on AIX, filed under ITS 1134:
http://www.openldap.org/its/index.cgi/Build?id=1134;user=guest;selectid=
1134

The problem can be circumvented by changing portable.h, but this file
does not exist until configure has run and (improperly) detected that
getaddr works.

How can I patch getaddr=no info configure? It is not a configurable
option.

I tried changing configure.in with the following patch:

754c754
< AC_CHECK_FUNCS( getaddrinfo inet_ntop )
---
> AC_CHECK_FUNCS( inet_ntop )
756a757
> ac_cv_func_getaddrinfo=no

but portable.h was still created with HAVE_GETADDRINFO=1

Thanks,
Kevin