Re: Schema and Attribute define??

"ldap" <ldap@mosotech.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am defining my attributes.
> Some of my attributes are of type
> 1) Boolean
> 2) Generialized Timestamp
> 3) Binary
> Do anyone know how to define their "EQUALITY" and "ORDERING" rule from them??

You have to use one of the implemented matching rules.  If no rule
fits the role, you may implement it by writing code for it.  If is a
standard matching rule or is defined in some RFC or other public
document, I'm sure the project would be grateful for some code
donation.

Notice, however, that in the Directory world it is meaningless to sort
Binary values (besides, you probably want octet string values, not
binary) and I think you cannot sort Boolean values either.

> I learn that Ldap will use the matching rules defined in the attribute.
> Could I tell ldap to search with different matching rules in runtime??

That is what extensible matches are for, but OpenLDAP does not provide
support for them yet.

> And after I define my own schema file, does Ldap provide any tools
> to check the file or any other method available to check the definition
> of customed defined attributes and obejctclass for any errors??

I try to start slapd.  It checks its configuration and reports any
errors.  Then it tries to bind ports and it fails because of the
already running slapd.

> I use Java to add entry to ldap and return "Undefined Attribute Type (17)"
> I wonder if I have problem in my schema file?

I don't think so. It is probably trying to use an attribute type that
is unknown to the server.  Don't use Java myself very much...

> I find JLDAP from Novell in openldap.org Front page.
> Is it the best sdk that ldap recommends??

??

There is no person or group called "ldap".  If you mean the OpenLDAP
project, I don't think I am qualified to speak for it, but I don't
think the project is advising not to use other alternatives.

Julio