Referrals

Hello,

I have a general question about referrals and how they are handled.
Let's assume I have one master slapd and one slave slapd. All the
clients connect to the slave. If they want to do an update, the are
referred to the master.

Now as far as I understand LDAP, clients are free whether they do
want to follow the referral or not. The problem arises when they choose
not to and make their modifications to the slave in which case the
master would have lost the change.

This could be solved by making the slave readonly in its slapd.conf. But
then my question is: will a client get a referral for an attribute it
does not have write permission for (on the slave but will have write
permission on the machine that they are referred to)?

Am I misunderstanding something or how is this usually solved?

Thanks,
-Luzian
--
University of Zurich, Centre for Computing Services
Luzian Scherrer <lsc@zi.unizh.ch>