Re: Using MD5 passwords with LDAP

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 07:03:28PM +0530, Jatin Nansi wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, but as I have mentioned once below, and want to draw
> yr attention once again to it that I tried using the openldap 1.2 rpms that
> came
> with the rh7.0 system. I _am_ able to use MD5 auth with those.
> I even tried it once on rh7.2, using openldap 2.11 and that also works.
> So finally it boils down to how redhat has managed to get this
> working.
>
> Any ideas??

Look at the source. Red Hat distributes .src.rpm packages for all their
binary packages. Historically the .src.rpm includes a "pristine"
compressed tarball of the official source, and one or more patches that
are applied to the official source during the RPM build process. There's a
good chance that you can simply apply their MD5 patch to the latest
OpenLDAP source and get what you want. If their MD5 patch does not seem to
alter/break anything else, you might consider asking Red Hat if they're
willing to contribute it to the project; I can't imagine many objections
to OpenLDAP being able to use more hashed password formats, and Red Hat
would probably like it if OpenLDAP were better suited to their systems
out-of-the-box, too. :-)

Good luck,

-Peter