May OpenLDAP client use a domain socket instead of a TCP socket?

Hi,

I got a hint that the OpenLDAP client lib has some (underdocumented, but
supported) capabilities to use a domain socket instead of a TCP socket,
and we would really to use this feature for the accessing LDAP servers
in the Ägypten project, see http://www.gnupg.org/aegypten/index.html
and see http://www.gnupg.org/aegypten/images/module-overview-ldap.png

Now there are two important questions for us:

a) Is the feature is still there and

b) Might it become an officially supported feature instead of just an
   undocumented one?

Thank you in advance!

Karl-Heinz

--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:khz@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>            <mailto:khz@kde.org>

   BugCops  ***  Making Free Software Better  ***  http://bugcops.org