Group membership problems

I've got two users who are both members of the same group.  Yet only one
of the users can successfully write to a directory which is writable by
that group.  The only significant difference I can see between these
users is that one is a member of many more groups than the other.

** Version info:
OpenLDAP v2.0.18

** Group definition:
dn: cn=job,ou=Group,dc=foo,dc=bar
objectClass: posixGroup
objectClass: top
cn: job
gidNumber: 6019
memberUid: arei
memberUid: jain

** Other info:
arie is a member of 19 groups, job is group #18 in list
jain is a member of 5 groups, job is group #5 in list

** Test:
[root@sec02 /tmp]# ls -l
drwxrwxr-x   2 root        job      176 Oct 31 19:01 foo

[root@sec02 /tmp]# cd foo

[root@sec02 foo]# su arei
bash-2.03$ touch hi
touch: hi cannot create
bash-2.03$ exit

[root@sec02 foo]# su jain
bash-2.03$ touch hi
bash-2.03$

Anybody got any ideas why one user can write but another can't?

Phil Oester