phantom entries

I am trying to load up my database with some initial entries.  It
appears that they are added successfully with slapadd.  slapcat dumps
them back out.  But after I start slapd, I can not find them with a
client, like ldapsearch or GQ.

I installed openLDAP 2.0.11.-8 from rpms to a Redhat Linux 7.1 OS.

Here is my slapd.conf:
database         ldbm
suffix           "dc=gte,dc=net"
rootdn           "cn=Manager,dc=gte,dc=net"
# rootpw                 secret
rootpw           {crypt}xqsAcfT51./Mc
directory        /var/lib/ldap
# Indices to maintain
index    objectClass,uid,uidNumber,gidNumber,memberUid   eq
index    cn,mail,surname,givenname                       eq,subinitial
access to attr=userPassword
       by self write
       by anonymous auth
       by dn="cn=Admin,dc=gte,dc=net" write
       by * none
access to *
       by dn="cn=Admin,dc=gte,dc=net" write
       by * read

I loaded this up from a ldif created from
/usr/share/openldap/migration/migrate_passwd.pl
(Actually I had run migrate_all_offline.sh but kept getting errors with
values like tp++ in /etc/protocols.  Later, I found from slapcat that a
lot of entries were actually added.)

Here's an example of output dumped from slapcat:
dn: uid=weblogic,ou=People,dc=gte,dc=net
uid: weblogic
cn: Weblogic user
objectClass: account
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: top
objectClass: shadowAccount
userPassword:: e2NyeXB0fThSaEpQdXouWVNwclk=
shadowLastChange: 11478
shadowWarning: 7
loginShell: /bin/bash
uidNumber: 502
gidNumber: 1001
homeDirectory: /home/weblogic
gecos: Weblogic user

And here's some attempts to access the entry with ldapsearch:
ldapsearch -b "ou=People,dc=gte,dc=net" -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=gt
e,dc=net" -W -v "(uid=weblogic)"
ldap_initialize( <DEFAULT> )
Enter LDAP Password:
filter: (uid=weblogic)
requesting: ALL
version: 2

#
# filter: (uid=weblogic)
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object

# numResponses: 1
[root@edunkle71 migration]# ldapsearch -b "dc=gte,dc=net" -x -D
"cn=Manager,dc=gte,dc=net"
-W -v "(uid=weblogic)"
ldap_initialize( <DEFAULT> )
Enter LDAP Password:
filter: (uid=weblogic)
requesting: ALL
version: 2

#
# filter: (uid=weblogic)
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object

# numResponses: 1
[root@edunkle71 migration]# ldapsearch -b "dc=gte,dc=net" -x -v
"(uid=weblogic)"
ldap_initialize( <DEFAULT> )
filter: (uid=weblogic)
requesting: ALL
version: 2

#
# filter: (uid=weblogic)
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object

# numResponses: 1
[root@edunkle71 migration]# ldapsearch -b "dc=gte,dc=net" -v
"(uid=weblogic)"
ldap_initialize( <DEFAULT> )
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such attribute

(Also,GQ fails to find any entries below the root on a browse.
However, I can access a passwd database and another server.)

So, why am I getting a "No such object" error?  Where'd the entries go?

And any clues as to why SASL is failing?  The -x seems to get around
it, but it would be nice to know how to get that working.

Thanks,
Ed