how to get listener for ldaps:/// working

Hi all,
  I'm starting slapd as shown below but keep getting the address
family not supported message shown below.  I've configured in sasl
and openssl and the name in the key matches the host.domain.
I'm able to do a simple bind with TLS but can't seem to get a
listener running for 636 to do the bind with SSL.  Does anyone have a
suggestion to fix this problem?  The trace for the client is also
shown below.  This all on debian linux with latest openldap.

Thanks.
Keith Lally
lally@bnl.gov

jrun:/usr/local/libexec# ./slapd -d 127 -h ldap:/// ldaps:///
@(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.0.17-Release (Tue Oct 16 17:34:06 EDT 2001) $
root@jrun.itd.bnl.gov:/root/openldap/openldap-2.0.17/servers/slapd
daemon_init: ldap:///
daemon_init: listen on ldap:///
daemon_init: 1 listeners to open...
ldap_url_parse_ext(ldap:///)
daemon: socket() failed errno=97 (Address family not supported by protocol)
daemon: initialized ldap:///
daemon_init: 1 listeners opened
slapd init: initiated server.
slap_sasl_init: initialized!
reading config file /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf
line 6 (include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema)>

and the result from ldapsearch

jrun:~/ldap/test# ./nine
connections to ldap with ssl and tls
simple bind SSL
ldap_create
ldap_url_parse_ext(ldaps://<host.domain>/)
ldap_bind_s
ldap_simple_bind_s
ldap_sasl_bind_s
ldap_sasl_bind
ldap_send_initial_request
ldap_new_connection
ldap_int_open_connection
ldap_connect_to_host: <host.domain>
ldap_new_socket: 3
ldap_prepare_socket: 3
ldap_connect_to_host: Trying <host.domain>:636
ldap_connect_timeout: fd: 3 tm: -1 async: 0
ldap_ndelay_on: 3
ldap_is_sock_ready: 3
ldap_is_socket_ready: error on socket 3: errno: 111 (Connection refused)
ldap_close_socket: 3
ldap_perror
ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server