Re: Storing Large Objects in an LDAP Tree

You wrote:
> Marijn Meijles wrote:
> >
> > Consider the situation that you put a pointer in the ldap to a file. You'd
> > have to retrieve it seperately, creating more overhead than it's worth,
> > especially if you have millions of entries..
>
> So what?

Good argument ;)
Where would you draw the line? Would you put public keyrings in ldap, for
example? Filesystems are generally not good at storing a lot of small files
(except maybe things like reiserfs), so in my opinion there is a bit of
overlap between using ldap as a file system and using your file system as
a database. both of them are not a good idea.

> > Of course, LDAP is intended to be a directory, but don't let intentions
> > stop you from doing cool stuff...
>
> It's not "cool" to abuse a LDAP server as a file server. It's
> stupid.

i wasn't planning on mounting my ldap server...

--
Marijn@bitpit.net