RE: How get statistics about what is being looked up?

Yes, increase your logging. Try level 1 or 32, which levels correspond to
function calls and search filters. Or use both. With logging turned on, do
the sorts of actions that you expect your users to do, e.g. a login. Send
the logs of those actions to the group.
These are not statistics per se. Rather they show exactly what your server
is being asked to do.
Also send the part of your slapd.conf that lists indexes.

Out of curiousity, have you ever explicitly regenerated the indexes using
slapindex? You can't just add indexes to slapd.conf without generating the
index files.

For a quick description of how indexes must be matched to search filters,
see the FAQ on performance tuning:
The pairing is quite specific. E.g. if you're doing a substring search on
attributetype X, then an eq index on X doesn't really help.