Re: Problem with Solaris8

Dear All,

   After couple of days experimenting with OpenLDAP 2.0.15 source
code, I finally isolated the problem with slapd core dumping under
Solaris 5.8 Sun Sparc SMP machines. Turned out the debug logging
function is not thread-safe, which is a big surprise, since it works
fine under Solaris 5.6. Either Sun changed their implementation of
va_start, vsnprintf, or the include files loading sequence need to
be re-worked for Solaris.

   For the time being, I have couple of solutions that'll work.

1. Don't use Solairs 5.8 :-(
2. Disable debug logging for production deployment :-|
3. Find a replacement for the debug logging function, here is
   what I did that works for me :-)

In include/ldap_log.h file, line 66 -

Replace ...

#define Debug( level, fmt, arg1, arg2, arg3 )   \
        do { \
                lutil_debug( ldap_debug, (level), (fmt), (arg1), (arg2),
(arg3) ); \
                if ( ldap_syslog & (level) ) \
                        syslog( ldap_syslog_level, (fmt), (arg1),
(arg2), (arg3) ); \
        } while ( 0 )

With ...

#define Debug( level, fmt, arg1, arg2, arg3 )   \
        do { \
                if ( ldap_debug & (level) ) \
                        fprintf( stderr, (fmt), (arg1), (arg2), (arg3)
); \

--
Max Chern, Senior Software Engineer/DBA  |  Voice: 626-296-5014
EarthLink, Inc.                          |  Fax:   626-296-5113