Re: Linking two ldap servers ???

Sovan_Shatpathy@satyam-infoway.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>             We have here a set of attributes for a particular uid half of which
> can be classified as functional and  the remaining can be classified as profile
> attributes. Now the attributes which have been classified as functional need to
> be replicated across all the slave servers whereas the same is not the case with
> the profile attributes.
>
> Now here my question is as follows:
>
> 1Is it possible to have ldap running in two servers one having the functional
> attributes and  the other having the profile attributes and link these two based
> on the uid?
>
> for ex :  for a specific dn say " uid =john, ou=south, o=xyz " i need to find
> all the profile information .. . Now if all the profile attributes for uid =John
> are stored in a different server then how do i go about retrieving the same ?
>
> Is there a way to do this or is this not possible?

This is what is usually called a "join", namely two directory (possibly
sharing
the naming context by means of some virtual naming context technique)
hold two
different sets of information referring to a common set of entries, with
a one
to one correspondence, and some connector takes care of gluing together
the two
pieces of information (directly or indirectly).

The short answer is: no (at least to my knowledge).

The long answer is: you'll have to do some coding yourself (maybe in the
stream
of back-meta?).
One (partial) solution for indirect join would be to have the two
distinct
directories replicating to the same slave, so the entries that are
common to both
would merge automatically. I'm not sure this is likely to work, though.
there might
be a lot of side-effects using slurpd as is. You'll probably end up
coding your own
"join" slurpd (which eventually should be called something like
"sjlurpd" because
it would act as a join connector).

There might be commercial products that claim to do this (I never tested
any of
them); try a search for "metadirectory".

Pierangelo.

--
Dr. Pierangelo Masarati               | voice: +39 02 2399 8309
Politecnico di Milano                 | mailto:masarati@aero.polimi.it