TLSCertificateKeyFile without password protection?

Hi,

I am just trying my first steps with openldap. For my
application, TLS would be important. I am using openssl-0.9.6 on
Linux.

The man page for slad.conf mentions with regard to the option
TLSCertificateKeyFile, that the private key must not be protected
with a password. Unfortunately, I can't figure out any way to get
openssl to generate a key without password. When I run openssl to
generate a certificate request, it always insists on a password
with at least 4 characters.

Is there any way to avoid this? I could not find any workaround.
Btw., the result still works, but unfortunately, I have to start
slapd manually and enter the password for the private key. All
attempts to come up with a script to automatically start slapd at
system start (I even tried expect ;-) failed.

Regards,
                Peter Daum