Re: LDAPv2 vs LDAPv3 & UTF-8

--On Donnerstag, 20. September 2001 18:43 +0900 Yunhwan Kang <vanora@grtg.com> wrote:

Hello.

I used till LDAPv2.

and i use Korean Language with EUC_KR character set.

When i use LDAPv2(openldap version 1.2.9), i have no problem with
character set.  but this time, When i change the server LDAPv3
compliant(openldap version 2.0.6), the problem occurred.

LDAPv3 requires that all values of attributetyes with the DirectoryString syntax be encoded as UTF-8.

at first, i have no encoding scheme for storing multi-byte character.
that is, My Linux Box has korean locale, my string with korean character
is stored without UTF-8 encoding.  When i use the program in linux such
as ldapsearch, any other my own program(this is also ldap client), it has
no problem.  but, Whe i use Outlook Express in Windows Platform, Outlook
client can't search entry.  so i capture the packet from outlook, and i
noticed that the search string is encoded with UTF-8.
then, i have a question for solving this problem.

1. in the ldap database, should i encode values with multi-byte
characters to UTF-8?

Yes

2. in the schema file, many attributes are defined
as UTF-8 string, should i encode all the values defined as UTF-8?

I don't know what you exactly mean by this. (ASCII is a subset of UTF-8. So there is no need to recode such values)

3. don't openldap server check encoding type for UTF-8 defined
attributes?

OpenLDAP 2.0.x ensures that values form a correct UTF-8 string.

--
Norbert Klasen
DAASI International GmbH                 phone: +49 7071 29 70336