building with TLS support

i've compiled OpenLDAP v2.0.11 with TLS support. my OpenSSL libraries are
installed in /usr/local/ssl and OpenLDAP which causes the configure script
to fail in detecting the existence of OpenSSL libraries. i'm using the
following configure command for configuring OpenLDAP:

CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/ssl/include -DHAVE_TLS -DHAVE_OPENSSL_SSL_H" \
	LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lssl -lcrypto" \
	./configure --prefix=/usr/local/openldap2

this seems to work but will it correctly build OpenLDAP with TLS support?
is there currently a better way to do it? would it be possible to have a
'--tls-dir=/usr/local/ssl' type of argument for the configure script in
the future?

best regards,
--
	aspa