detecting rights

Hi all!

Sorry for bugging again...

I'm using group based ACL's for access-control, implemeting different
levels of access for different subtrees. Now I'd like detect whether a
user has the right to read/write a to a specific entry because I won't
display this possibillities on application-side to minimize
user-confusion.
Is there any possibility to do that without trying to read/write to an
entry? I'm using ldap via php (I don't think that this matters, that
should be ldap-related, not php-related. If I'm wrong with that, I'm
sorry to post this Off-Topic but hope to get help anyhow).

Thanks for your help

Timo Boettcher