Re: 2 Questions: Search for the highest value, Create a unique value

At 08:32 PM 2001-08-31, Chuck Coker wrote:
>Question 1:
>Is there a way to search for the highest (or lowest) value for a given
>attribute in a directory?

Without extension support, no.  You have to search for all values,
or all higher (or lower) than an asserted value; then go through
results to find the highest (or lowest).

There are extensions (not supported by OpenLDAP), such as server
side sort control, which can be used to do such things.

>Question 2:
>Suppose I added people to my directory and wanted to assign each person a
>unique number. Is there a way to automatically generate a unique identifier?

The client can programmatically generate a UUID.