Single Signon

I figure for this to work, there must be a way for LDAP clients to determine
if a user is logged-into the system.  There probably also has to be something
unique the user's client can pass my application so I can compare it with
something stored in LDAP to see if they're the same--to get around people
masquerading as users already logged-in.

Has anyone done this with LDAP and has suggestions on how to do it?  I'd like
for our web application and our transaction processor to share the same login,
and not have to badger the user twice for a password.

--
.tom