Re: possible to use webPassword or mailPassword for auth ?

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 11:16:21AM +0200, Kettig Thomas wrote:

> We're setting up ldap for
> web  authentication and mail authentication. Is it possible to use
> webPassword for web authentication and mailPassword for mailserver
> authentication?

This sounds like a client-side software question. The client software
could bind as a user that can run appropriate queries and read appropriate
attributes. This is how a Web auth system I'm working on now operates; the
user objects don't even have traditional LDAP userPassword attributes.
Instead, we have our own custom password attribute that can be read by the
DN that the Web server binds to the directory as. This was a deliberate
choice; only a very limited number of DNs and machines can actually
bind/connect to the directory.

-Peter