Openldap Testimonials ? (was Re: openldap performance numbers vs NS)

>Just tell him that it's free.  Unforunately, that doesn't work for too
>many PHBs.  (PHB = pointy-haired boss)  I'm sure there's some benchmarks
>somewhere.  Here's one:

Unfortunatly he's old school, "you must fear open source"

>http://groups.google.com/groups?th=46fc09d893a15fe2,1

Unfortunaly I cant compare those numbers to anything netscape
puts out.

>As far as those Netscape numbers go, it's all bullshit.  Scalability is
>all dependant on the hardware and OS that runs on it.  Sure, I can run
>my 16-processor 2GHz Xeon machine on a bare-bones Linux for benchmarks,
>but am I going to tell them that?  Hell no.  If I admit the exact type
>of hardware/OS my machine, then I leave myself open to a fair
>comparison.  (All they have to do is do the exact same test with the
>other software product, in this case: OpenLDAP.)  As soon as boss quit
>falling for marketing schemes, the world would be a better place.  But,
>I guess part of your job is education.

Yes I agree this is all hardware dependant since openldap runs on
pretty much any Unix but Netscape DS only runs on solaris.

Can anyone related their experiences running openldap with greater
then 20k or 30k entries? We are planning on using it for single sign
on essentially. Basically I am looking for real world testimonials.
Has it performed well for you? Is it stable? What OS do you run it
on?

Thanks for any help you can offer..
Mike