OT: Apology for the html mail

Sorry for the previous msg going out as HTML.  I received a new workstation
and forgot to "fix" it before sending mail.  Sorry-

----- Original Message -----
From: Eric Fagan
To: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 1:49 PM
Subject: Performance, blocking, corruption...

Hello all,
  I am currently servicing about 50k records on a RH 7.1 dual P400/scsi raid
box (it's an HP LPr) with 2.0.11, generic compile, and optimal indexing.  I
allow for a generous DB cache (192mb).  Things seem to work well, top
indicates slapd is using 140mb of ram and ~3% cpu utilization.  I'm pulling
around 25 reads/sec throughout the day; there's no slowdown or hesitation.
This week, I'm doing a bit of writing to change some user records.  (~1 per
second).  I'm finding some minor index corruption (about 1% of the records
changed) after doing the writes.

I suspect I'm running into issues where the DB is locked for "reads" and is
unable to be locked to complete "writes".  My plan of action is to run a
slave replication server which will service all "reads", hopefully freeing
up the master so that "writes" are correctly implemented.

Does this theory & plan seem correct?  Any pitfalls?  Recommendations?
Anyone else running 2.0.11 in a harsh environment?  (Is my environment
really harsh, or are other running openldap much harder?)  Also, is there a
"write" cache available/configurable to cache writes until they can be
correctly stored?

Thx,
Eric