Shadow passwords

Openldap 2.0.11 on a RH 7.1 box.

I am tasked with syncing an LDAP directory with a company's
passwd/shadow/group configuration.  The application is a webmail server
(qmail/ldap/courierImap).  For a one time import, everything is very
straightforward, but I'm getting my head wrapped around the shadow
password.  Keeping it synchronized is another thing.

My gut reaction is that I'm screwed.  Passwords are stored in the
directory in crypt format, and I need to be able to store the existing
shadow passwords.  I can see no commandline options for ldappassword
that allow me to specify that what I'm telling it to import should be
saved "as is" and that it is shadow type.  I'm not strong on password
theory (pun intended :) so any URL's to theory as well as procedures is
welcome and encouraged.  TIA.

Am I missing something obvious?
--
Blue skies...		Todd
| Get a bigger hammer!   |  Are you feeling lucky...punk?         |