Where do I keep user passwords

I can keep encrypted user passwords either in sasldb, or directly in
LDAP. Which solution is recommended, for only one single location for
passwords?
All programs requiring authentication will call LDAP (directly/via
PAM). Can OpenLDAP 2.0.11 clients bind with a password in /etc/sasldb
and work correctly? For this, I assume that I will have to recompile
OpenLDAP with SASL support, but that does not matter.

Basically:
Application --> LDAP --> sasldb

All other user information is in LDAP, except the password.

Devdas Bhagat
--
"Help Mr. Wizard!"
-- Tennessee Tuxedo