Re: invalid dn - newbie here

Terry Davis wrote:

> well, perhaps I am making this too difficult off the bat.
>
> When I try a query, I get invalid dn syntax as well.
>
> First, does my slapd.conf file look correct ?

It looks OK to me.  (Only difference from our own, is the presence
of spaces in the 'suffix' and 'rootdn' names.)

Generally, my rule of thumb is:

  If the 'slapd' daemon starts, and keeps running, the
  slapd.conf syntax is O.K.

Since you're not getting "invalid DN syntax" errors until you
try to modify the directory, I must assume the LDIF input is
invalid.

You do have a very 'bare-bones' configuration.  I found it
necessary to add these three schemas before I cound do anything
of interest.

  include     /.../etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
  include     /.../etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
  include     /.../etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema

- Don

> > > Here is my slapd.conf:
> > >
> > > include         /usr/local/openldap/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
> > > pidfile         /usr/local/openldap/var/slapd.pid
> > > argsfile        /usr/local/openldap/var/slapd.args
> > > database        ldbm
> > > suffix          "dc=birddog, dc=com"
> > > rootdn          "cn=Manager, dc=birddog, dc=com"
> > > rootpw          secret
> > > directory       /usr/local/openldap/var/openldap-ldbm
> > > index   objectClass     eq

- Don Buchholz                               <don@truedisk.com>
- TrueDisk, 7431 NW Evergreen Pkwy - #110, Hillsboro, OR  97124
- voice: 503/615-0888 x266                    FAX: 503/693-0873