invalid dn - newbie here

Hello.
I followed the quick start guide.
Here is the error:
ldap_modify: Invalid DN syntax
        additional info: invalid DN

Here is my slapd.conf:

include         /usr/local/openldap/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
pidfile         /usr/local/openldap/var/slapd.pid
argsfile        /usr/local/openldap/var/slapd.args
database        ldbm
suffix          "dc=birddog, dc=com"
rootdn          "cn=Manager, dc=birddog, dc=com"
rootpw          secret
directory       /usr/local/openldap/var/openldap-ldbm
index   objectClass     eq

I use this to add entries:
/usr/local/openldap/bin/ldapmodify -c -r -h $LdapHost -D $slapd_rootdn
-w \"$slapd_rootpw\""
at that point I pipe in a bunch of stuff but I am thinking my config
file is wrong since it is giving me that dn error.

any ideas?

--
Terry Davis
Systems Administrator