Re: maintaining uniqueness of uid across subtree's

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Gerald Carter wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jul 2001 Sovan_Shatpathy@satyam-infoway.com wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >         Here we are trying to use openldap for authentication of users
> > , . The schema has been designed in such a way that we have multiple
> > ou's on individiual ldbm databse( purpose of seperate backend ldbm
> > database is for selective replication) . I have given below a portion
> > of slapd.conf. Here the ou 's being chennai and bombay.

I would link these together with referrals into a directory with the
naming context of o=xyz (which you have, but I'm assuming that it does not
have referrals to the lower subtrees) and then perform a subtree search
for the new uid.  You'll have to work around some race conditions here
with user's being added at the same time.

Also note that you only need subordinate knowledge references, and not
superior ones pointing back up since all the partitions are on the same
server.

> > 1. How do we ensure uniqueness of uid across all the subtrees( here
> > the subtree being "ou")????
> >
> > 2. Now consider there is a particular entry (uid=john) which has been
> > populated in the ldbm database of ou=chennai . When we give a
> > ldapsearch for that particular entry with the BASE as "o=xyz" seach is
> > not happening for all the subtrees.  it is only searching through the
> > base ldbm database So if a particular user is there in ou=chennai then
> > search is successfull only if the base is ou= chennai , o= xyz. How do
> > we authenticate a user by giving search BASE as "o=xyz" ( not
> > specifing the subtrees ie "ou") ???

cheers, jerry
 http://www.valinux.com/     VA Linux Systems      gcarter@valinux.com
 http://www.samba.org/          SAMBA Team             jerry@samba.org