observation/question on .dbb's

Has anyone else observed .dbb's being "corrupted" when you copy
FROM a live .dbb (earlier I was shutting down slapd/slurpd when
I copied ONTO the working .dbb files, but I figured copying FROM
them was ok while it was running (provided I wasn't doing any
add/delete/modifies at the time (I'm running a test system so I
can be sure that no one other than me is doing modifications))?
I was getting really flaky results and then I cleaned up my .dbb
(removed all entries I added) and only preformed copying (to and
from the working .dbb's) when slapd/slurpd were down.  Now
everything works as it should.