Re: Re[2]: Migration from Netscape LDAP to Openldap

"Daniel Cheah" <daniel@idcconsult.com.my> wrote...
> Hello Michael,
> Wednesday, June 27, 2001, 5:23:49 PM, you wrote:
>
> MS> Daniel Cheah wrote:
> >>
> >> 1.) My problem is that Netscape LDAP allows empty value for attibutes,
BUT
> >> OPENLDAP do not allow this. How do I overcome this?
>
> MS> Why do you want this?
>
> This is because this openldap is for a Portal. So some of the
> information is not a MUST. So the attribute is there but without any
> value in it. Netscape export to a ldif file also exported the
> attribute without value. But when I import it to Openldap, it will
> failed. (unless I manually insert a dummy value to all the records,
> 200,000 records????) I don't think that is a good idea to edit those
> 200,000 records.

if it isn't a must, leave the attribute away at all. (for those user that
don't need it) that's the reason why LDAP differs between 'MUST' and 'MAY'
when defining objectclasses..
if you can't do this, i guess it wouldn't be a problem to write a perl
skript that inserts the dummy value you mentioned. 200,000 isn't that much
at all, for my feeling..

daniel