More on: partial replication errors

Since my earlier trouble I have tried to narrow down the problem
by switching back to simple replication (which I got to work
earlier).

On the master if I do:

ldapsearch -x -b "cn=Replicants,dc=SharemediaTest,dc=com"
'(objectclass=*)'

I get:

version: 2

#
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# Replicants,dc=SharemediaTest,dc=com
dn: cn=Replicants,dc=SharemediaTest,dc=com
objectClass: smvsSeperator
cn: Replicants

# MasterReplicant,Replicants,dc=SharemediaTest,dc=com
dn: cn=MasterReplicant,cn=Replicants,dc=SharemediaTest,dc=com
objectClass: person
sn: MasterReplicant
cn: MasterReplicant
userPassword:: ZW4xY3IhcHQ=

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 3
# numEntries: 2

Which is what I should get.  I copied the .dbb's over to the
client (so I could have the MasterReplicant (which is the binddn
that the master uses to update the slave)).  I still can't
replicate to the slave properly (which I was able to do about a
week ago!) and even more unusual, if I do the above query on the
slave I get this response:
version: 2

#
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object
matchedDN: dc=SharemediaTest, dc=com

# numResponses: 1

Since I copied the .dbb files how could I get "No such object"?
The slave should have EXACTLY the same data as the master.