partial replication errors

I'm trying to do partial replication and getting some weird
errors.  For one thing when I add entries to a master (and it
tries to replicate them down to a slave containing the subtree)
I get a failure and am told that I got a referral (which I don't
understand because the slave has this subtree).

The slapd.conf on the master is a bit kludgy (I don't fully get
slapd.conf setup)  I've tried a number of changes including
commenting out "directory" directives in the ldbm definitions
for the replicas.