Re: Linux Autofs + LDAP

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 08:11:03AM -0700, Lans Carstensen wrote:
> We patched our Linux autofs using search/replace to use nisMap instead
> of automountmap, nisObject instead of automount, and nismapentry instead
> of automountinformation.  You have to do queries with
> "nismapname=auto_home" instead of "ou=auto_home" for a base DN, as
> well.  I believe Luke Howard posted to this list recently explaining the
> differences between how the nisMap and automount schemas should be used,
> and how the Linux autofs is currently implementing a nisMap-style lookup
> but using automount attributes improperly to do this.  Is anyone working
> on patching this up?  I'd like to see the more compliant behavior become
> the default in the code soon, and would be willing to help.

Patching the module to use the preferred schema's been on my to-do
list for a couple of weeks now, and I hope to get to it this week.

I'd prefer to keep some form of compatibility with what was already
there to keep people from being surprised.  Probably this would be
accomplished by searching using the previously-used object classes
and attribute types if (and only if) no results were found when
searching using the preferred schema.

The classes and types the LDAP support originally used were chosen
because they were there, so we thought they were preferred over the
nisMap and nisObject object classes.

Nalin