Re: absolutely frustrated

On Saturday, June 16, 2001, at 01:01 AM, Craig White wrote:14
I have spent far too long trying to set up ldap on my computer and I'm still not
getting anywhere so I have to ask some basic questions - sorry... yes, I have
greatly worked thru the Faq-O-matic / man pages / quickstart guides.

Sorry to hear about your frustrations. The first part of the learning curve is usually the hardest.

slapd.conf at bottom but I don't think that it matters here.
I think that I've finally got it set up and working and when I type...
  ldapsearch -L -b "dc=azapple,dc=com" -W "(objectclass=*)"
system asks...
   Enter LDAP Password:

As it should, if you're using -W. Since your ACL allows all access, you shouldn't *have* to use it to search for objectclasses. Make sure that passwordless lookups work.

I simply press enter (typing 'secret' or root password same result)
   ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such attribute

This may be obvious (or not)... do you have any records in there? At the bare minimum, you should have at least one for the top record.

I also noticed that you have two rootdn's:
rootdn		"o=Azapple,c=US"
rootdn		"cn=Manager,dc=azapple,dc=com"

And I'm not sure this is supported(?). Try commenting out the second one, and making sure your directory has an entry for:
dn: o=Azapple,c=US
objectclass: top
objectclass: organization

And then run:
ldapsearch -L -b "o=Azapple,c=US"  "(objectclass=*)"

You should get back the one record.

Can I disable sasl and work it thru later? How?
Is there something wrong with this very basic slapd.conf?
Thanks,
Craig

RedHat 7.1 / Openldap 2.07

# $OpenLDAP: pkg/ldap/servers/slapd/slapd.conf,v 1.8.8.4 2000/08/26 17:06:18
kurt Exp $
#
include /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
include /etc/openldap/schema/redhat/rfc822-MailMember.schema
include /etc/openldap/schema/redhat/autofs.schema
include /etc/openldap/schema/redhat/kerberosobject.schema
#
access to * by * read
#
pidfile /var/run/slapd.pid
#
database ldbm
suffix "dc=azapple,dc=com"
directory /var/lib/ldap
rootdn "o=Azapple,c=US"
rootdn "cn=Manager,dc=azapple,dc=com"
rootpw secret
index cn,sn,uid pres,eq,sub
index objectClass pres,eq

--2D426F70|759328624|00101101010000100110111101110000
ron@opus1.com, 520-326-6109, http://www.opus1.com/ron/
The opinions expressed in this email are not necessarily those of myself,
my employers, or any of the other little voices in my head.