AW: replication questions

Thanks for your quick input Daniel.

I have some questions regarding what you said (and where I'm
currently at with replication)

> > I am confused about several points:
> >
> > -updatedn should be different from rootdn (right?) but if so
how
> > do I specify a password for it (updatepw in the slaves
> > slapd.conf causes an error when I try to start it up).
Right
> > now I've been using the rootdn (which for simplicity is the
same
> > on slave and master...)
>
> you'll have to store the updatedn entry in both master and
slave db. specify
> 'userpassword' attribute to authenticate.

I'm confused about this.  Am I adding a user object to the DB?
Do you have an example of doing this (I am a newcomer to LDAP).

> hmm, are not sure about ldapmodify, but i think, you'll have
to check the
> server's response, and relaunch ldapmodify with the correct
host flag.

-C -> chase is supposed to (I think) work but instead I get some
confusing results.  I do the ldapmodifies on the slave and if
the entry is in the master I get "Already exists" (note it
doesn't exist on the slave) see below.  If the entry isn't on
the master I get "Insufficient access".

Leaf nodes not present on master, ldapmodify chase on slave,
result:

ldapmodify -a -c -x -C -D 'cn=Manager,dc=SharemediaTest,dc=com'
-W -f TwoBethesdaEntries.ldif
Enter LDAP Password:
adding new entry "cn=Bethesda, cn=MD, dc=SharemediaTest, dc=com"
ldap_add: Already exists

ldif_record() = 68
adding new entry "cn=B1 A-1 Cafe, cn=Bethesda, cn=MD,
dc=SharemediaTest, dc=com"ldap_add: Insufficient access
	additional info: no write access to parent

ldif_record() = 50
adding new entry "cn=B2 Aangan Indian Restaurant, cn=Bethesda,
cn=MD, dc=SharemediaTest, dc=com"
ldap_add: Insufficient access
	additional info: no write access to parent

Leaf nodes present on master (but not client) ldapmodify with
chase:

ldapmodify -a -c -x -C -D 'cn=Manager,dc=SharemediaTest,dc=com'
-W -f TwoBethesdaEntries.ldif
Enter LDAP Password:
adding new entry "cn=Bethesda, cn=MD, dc=SharemediaTest, dc=com"
ldap_add: Already exists

ldif_record() = 68
adding new entry "cn=B1 A-1 Cafe, cn=Bethesda, cn=MD,
dc=SharemediaTest, dc=com"ldap_add: Already exists

ldif_record() = 68
adding new entry "cn=B2 Aangan Indian Restaurant, cn=Bethesda,
cn=MD, dc=SharemediaTest, dc=com"
ldap_add: Already exists

> read up in the lists archives, mainly this one
(openldap-software) was
> _very_ helpfull for me all the time..

Thanks for the tip- I've seen a lot of info on this list.
Unfortunately, many times when someone has the same question I
do the post doesn't have an answer.

For instance I'm having the same problem as the following posts: