OpenLDAP and Solaris 8 threading

I've been playing with the DirectoryMark benchmarking software - and was
seeing about 130 search ops/sec on a 2-cpu Solaris-8 box (OpenLDAP 2.0.8)
with one client.  When I attempted to run more than one client or a single
client with multiple threads the performance dropped dramatically: down to
.33 search operations/sec and receiving timeouts and connect failures
along the way.

I've read in some of the docs that slapd's threading is incompatible with
the solaris thread library - do I have any other options other than
rebuilding openldap explicitly without threads?

Vince