replication problems: no errors but no replication

Hi,
   I've been working on the problem that I described in my email
earlier today.  Basically I get one of two results:
   1) If I submit a ldapmodify to the client I get a message

#ldapmodify -a -c -x -D 'cn=Manager,dc=SharemediaTest,dc=com' -W
-f TwoBethesdaEntries.ldif
Enter LDAP Password:
adding new entry "cn=Bethesda, cn=MD, dc=SharemediaTest, dc=com"
ldap_add: Referral

ldif_record() = 10
adding new entry "cn=B1 A-1 Cafe, cn=Bethesda, cn=MD,
dc=SharemediaTest, dc=com"ldap_add: Referral

ldif_record() = 10
adding new entry "cn=B2 Aangan Indian Restaurant, cn=Bethesda,
cn=MD, dc=SharemediaTest, dc=com"
ldap_add: Referral

If I tell it to "chase referrals":
# ldapmodify -a -c -x -C -D
'cn=Manager,dc=SharemediaTest,dc=com' -W -f
TwoBethesdaEntries.ldif
Enter LDAP Password:
adding new entry "cn=Bethesda, cn=MD, dc=SharemediaTest, dc=com"
ldap_add: Already exists

ldif_record() = 68
adding new entry "cn=B1 A-1 Cafe, cn=Bethesda, cn=MD,
dc=SharemediaTest, dc=com"ldap_add: Insufficient access
	additional info: no write access to parent

ldif_record() = 50
adding new entry "cn=B2 Aangan Indian Restaurant, cn=Bethesda,
cn=MD, dc=SharemediaTest, dc=com"
ldap_add: Insufficient access
	additional info: no write access to parent

(Manager is root on both master and slave, if I try
MasterManager (an updatedn on the slave) with the rootpw I get
invalid credentials.  If I try to specify a update passsword in
the slaves slapd.conf by putting in updatepw secret2 slapd
complains when I start it up.

If I try doing the add's to the master server they are
successfully added to the master slapd writes out its log,
slurpd eats this log and writes out its own (I see no evidence
of problems- incidentally slurpd seems to be logging to:

/usr/local/var/openldap-slurp/replica/slurpd.replog

rather than what it says in the admin guide
(/usr/local/var/openldap/)

I see no .rej file in this directory)

but the problem is that the changes never get put on the slave