cannot connect using TLS to localhost

I have OpenLDAP 2.0.9 set up and running well.  I have a test linux client
on another subnet using pam_ldap and nss_ldap to connect to the LDAP
server via TLS to get login information and authenticate users.  It works
really well using ldaps:/// and TLS.

My problem is that on the machine that ldap is running on, I cannot
connect using TLS.  gq just spits out and error about not being able to
make a TLS connection.  The weird thing is that from any other machine, I
can get a tls connection just fine.  I'm running a couple of things that
need to be able to bind to LDAP using TLS on the local machine.  I can
bind just fine on the local machine if I don't use TLS.  I also suppose
that since I'm just connecting via localhost, it doesn't matter if I use
TLS or not.  But I'm curious as to why a TLS localhost connection is
failing.  both gq and pam_ldap fail.  My gut feeling is that there's
something about the certificate, but I don't know.

Also, it used to work fine, but recently stopped working rather suddenly.

thanks,

Michael