How secure is LDAP

Hi,
I have just signed up with this list and am new to LDAP.
Can someone throw some light as to how effective can LDAP be
in terms of  "hacking prevention".

I think after LDAP is configured, the system paswords are not stored
as flat-text files [encrypted], but are maintained in LDAPs Database.

If this is true then it should be  more difficult to hack passwords stored
in a  DB as compared to a flat-text file.

If my above understanding is true, then LDAP would feature as a security
solution too, appart from being a very good Directory Service.

Some inputs / views / clarifications please.
sandeep