additional info: value contains invalid data

I install slapd, read the docs and run smack into this problem.
I've been all over the Faq-o-matic.
So now, I have to ask.....

For some reason, when following the example in the OpenLDAP documentation, I
get
the following error:

ldap_add: Invalid syntax
        additional info: value contains invalid data

The first entry in my ldif file worked, but the 2nd one doesn't.
I clipped it and moved it to a 2nd file so I could isolate the problem.

I also encourage you slapd developers to add something more guiding than
the syntax error message.

If someone would please tell me what I'm smoking, I'll try to put it in the
Faq-O-matic

-s

=------------------snip----- the ldapsearch listing
-------------------------------------------=
$ ldapsearch -x -b 'dc=lgc,dc=com'    '(objectclass=*)'
version: 2

#
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# lgc,dc=com
dn:: ZGM9bGdjLGRjPWNvbSA=
objectClass: dcObject
objectClass: organization
o: Landmark
dc: lgc

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1

=------------------snip----- here is where I try it again
-------------------------------------------=
$ ldapmodify -a -x -D 'cn=Manager,dc=lgc,dc=com' -w secret -f begin2.ldif -v
ldap_initialize( <DEFAULT> )
add objectclass:
        organizationalRole
add cn:
        Manager
adding new entry "cn=Manager,dc=lgc,dc=com "
ldap_add: Invalid syntax
        additional info: value contains invalid data

ldif_record() = 21

=------------------snip----- contents of the ldif file
-------------------------------------------=
$ more begin2.ldif
dn: cn=Manager,dc=lgc,dc=com
objectclass: organizationalRole
cn: Manager

=------------------snip----- important contents of my slapd.conf file
-------------------------------------------=
database	ldbm
suffix		"dc=lgc,dc=com"
#suffix		"o=LGC,c=US"
rootdn		"cn=Manager,dc=lgc,dc=com"
#rootdn          "o=JNDITutorial"
#rootdn		"cn=Manager, o=My Organization Name, c=US"
# Cleartext passwords, especially for the rootdn, should
# be avoid.  See slappasswd(8) and slapd.conf(5) for details.
# Use of strong authentication encouraged.
rootpw		secret
# The database directory MUST exist prior to running slapd AND
# should only be accessable by the slapd/tools. Mode 700 recommended.
directory	/openldap/state/openldap-ldbm
#directory 	%localstatedir%/openldap-ldbm
# Indices to maintain
index	objectClass	eq