Re: Access problem via Netscape from Win98

John Weissberg wrote:

> I still have not been able to access the LDAP server from my Win98
> clients running Netscape 4.7. I have checked all the networking and am
> fairly certain the problem is not there. The problem must be in my
> set-up of slapd. Unfortunately I am such a newbie I don't have a feel
> for where the problem may be.
>
> Below are my slapd.conf and the ldif file used to build the database.
> ldapsearch does seem to function correctly from the Linux box running
> slapd.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Here is the slapd.conf file
>
> #---- slapd.conf -------
> include  /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
> schemacheck off
>
> pidfile  /usr/local/var/slapd.pid
> argsfile /usr/local/var/slapd.args
>
> database ldbm
> suffix  "dc=perfectproof,dc=com"
> rootdn  "cn=manager,dc=perfectproof,dc=com"
> rootpw  secret
> directory /usr/local/var/openldap-ldbm
> # ---------------------------------------

There's no ACLs; you should set some read access
to the data you want to read from Netscape.

try a very crude "everybody read everything,
but only self changes password":

access to attr=userPassword
    by self write
    by * auth

access to *
    by * read

> Here is the ldif file used to build databases:
>
> #----- start.ldif --------
> dn: dc=perfectproof,dc=com
> objectclass: top
> objectclass: dcObject
> objectclass: organization
> o: perfectproof
> dc: perfectproof
>
> dn: cn=manager,dc=perfectproof,dc=com
> objectclass: organizationalRole
> cn: manager

In your ldif there's nothing significant for Netscape
(I assume you're trying to use the address book); you
shoud add a person with cn,mail,o (use the objectclasses
you prefer that require/allow these attributes).

Pierangelo.

--
Dr. Pierangelo Masarati               | voice: +39 02 2399 8309
Politecnico di Milano                 | mailto:masarati@aero.polimi.it