Re: What protocol does LDAP use

John Weissberg wrote:

> On our system we have separate machines for web-proxy and ldap server.
>
> We are trying to configure Win98 clients with Netscape 4.7 to access
> LDAP. Although slapd and ldapsearch seem to run well from the LDAP
> server itself, we cannot get the Win98 clients to talk with the LDAP
> server. We can ping the LDAP server and the LDAP server is set up in
> etc/hosts so I thing the network itself is OK.
>
> Our Netscape clients are set-up to pass http, ftp, socks and wais
> requests through the web-proxy which, for security, does not have access
> to the LDAP server. Could this be why our Win98 machines do not see the
> LDAP server ?

Netscape cannot use a HTTP proxy for connecting to LDAP servers. If
the LDAP server stands behind the firewall from the LDAP client's
point of view and the firewall must not allow packets to 389/tcp
you're lost. Note: Some firewalls might allow ICMP packets (for
ping) but disallow TCP connects on certain ports.

If there's no firewall between your LDAP server and the clients you
have a configuration problem on the LDAP server.

Ciao, Michael.