What protocol does LDAP use

On our system we have separate machines for web-proxy and ldap server.

We are trying to configure Win98 clients with Netscape 4.7 to access
LDAP. Although slapd and ldapsearch seem to run well from the LDAP
server itself, we cannot get the Win98 clients to talk with the LDAP
server. We can ping the LDAP server and the LDAP server is set up in
etc/hosts so I thing the network itself is OK.

Our Netscape clients are set-up to pass http, ftp, socks and wais
requests through the web-proxy which, for security, does not have access
to the LDAP server. Could this be why our Win98 machines do not see the
LDAP server ?

--

John Weissberg
PerfectProof