OpenLDAP 2.0.7 - Base64 vs. Plaintext

I asked why OpenLDAP 2.0.7 was storing userPassword as it was.

I'd like to thank those who replied and emailed me privately,
about it.  So the double colons indicates that its a Base64
encoding.  That was informative, and definately useful, but the
question is not can I deal with it, but how do I manipulate it
for my own tastes.  I still cannot seem to get OpenLDAP 2.0.7
to leave the userPassword field as plaintext, or however I
decide it to be.  This would be nice to be able to do.  LDAP
is being used for so many things, and there are servers or
implementations out there that require plaintext passwords,
and as easy as it would be to assume that Base64 de/encoding
can be integrated into server source code, that should be
more of a hassle than a config file line indicating default
values for how LDAP stores the userPassword field.

I suspect that its a schema issue, but I have attempted to
alter those, those efforts didn't work out very well.

Again thanks for pointing out that useful knowledge, but I
still do not know how to 'make it work'.

Heh, reminds me of the human nature tendency that if something
cannot be controlled, it then must be destroyed.

Jaron Omega